Company History

History

DRPA traces its roots back to 1919 when leaders from the Pennsylvania and New Jersey began planning for a bridge across the Delaware River. That bridge, now known as the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, was once the longest suspension bridge in the world. Today, more than 80 years after its opening, the Benjamin Franklin Bridge remains a key transportation artery and a regional landmark.

DRPA subsequently built the Walt Whitman, Commodore Barry and Betsy Ross bridges, PATCO, a high speed rail line that runs between Philadelphia and Lindenwold, NJ and One Port Center, an office building on the Camden Waterfront.

DRPA is self-sustaining, operating without tax support. A 16-member Board of Commissioners, eight from each state, sets policy within the terms of a congressionally approved bi-state charter. The commissioners are appointed by their respective governors, except the auditor-general and treasurer of Pennsylvania who are ex-officio members. All commissioners serve without compensation.

Lines of Business

DRPA's four bridges (Ben Franklin, Walt Whitman, Commodore Barry and Betsy Ross) provide a range of travel alternatives that few urban areas can match and all offer the E-ZPass electronic toll collection system. PATCO's trains are among the most dependable in the country, posting a 98 percent "on-time" record.

                   The DRPA is an equal employment opportunity employer.